Home & EU Students



UK or EU full-time or part-time students can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan. The loan is paid directly to your university or college. You have to pay it back.
Full-Time Student Tution Fee Loan
Full-Time Up to £9,000
Full-time at a private university or college Up to £6,000
Part Time Student Tution Fee Loan
Part-time Up to £6,750
Part-time at a private university or college Up to £4,500
Maintenance Loan for living costs
You must be a full-time UK student. Part-time and EUstudents and students aged 60 and over can’t apply.
You may have to give details of your household income.
The loan is paid directly into your bank account at the start of term. You have to pay the loan back.
Full-Time Student Maintenance Loan
Living at home Up to £4,375
Living away from home, outside London Up to £5,500
Living away from home, in London Up to £7,675
You spend a year of a UK course studying abroad Up to £6,535
Maintenance Grant for living costs

You must be a full-time UK student. Part-time and EUstudents can’t apply.
You have to give details about your household income and your course start date.
The grant is paid into your bank account at the start of term. You don’t have to pay the grant back, but any grant you get will reduce the Maintenance Loan you can get.
Full-time student – household income Grant for courses from September 2012 Grant for courses from September 2013
£25,000 or less £3,250 £3,354
£30,000 £2,341 £2,416
£35,000 £1,432 £1,478
£40,000 £523 £540
£42,600 (2012) or £42,611 (2013) Up to £50 £50
Over £42,600 / £42,611 No grant No grant
Special Support Grant

You must be a full-time student. Part-time and EU students can’t apply.
You may get a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant if you get or qualify for Income Support or Housing Benefit. The amount you get is the same as the Maintenance Grant, but it won’t reduce the Maintenance Loan you can get.
You may get the Special Support Grant if, for example, you’re a lone parent or have certain disabilities.
Students on a low income

You can apply for:
• the National Scholarship Programme
• Access to Learning Fund
• Income Support
Students with children or dependant adultsYou can apply for:
• Childcare Grant – full-time students only
• Parents’ Learning Allowance – full-time students only
• Adult Dependants’ Grant – full-time students only
• Access to Learning Fund
• Child Tax Credit
Disabled studentsIf you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty (eg dyslexia) you can apply for:
• Disabled Students’ Allowances
• Access to Learning Fund
You may also qualify for disability related benefits.
Medical, social work and teacher training studentsYou can apply for:
• NHS bursaries – medical, dentistry or healthcare students
• Social Work Bursaries – social work students
• extra help for teacher training studentsHelp from your university or college
Many universities and colleges offer extra money directly to students.EligibilityWhether you qualify for student finance depends on:
• your university or college
• your course
• if you’ve studied a higher education course before
• your age
• your nationality or residency status
Part-time students

Part-time students need to study their courses at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year.
This is known as ‘course intensity’. You can check course intensity with your university or college.

You studied before

Generally, you’ll only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get it if, for example:
• you change course
• you leave your course but decide to start again
• you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, eg you’ve finished an HNC, HND or foundation degree and now want to do an honours degree


There’s no upper age limit for Tuition Fee Loans or grants. To apply for a Maintenance Loan you have to be under 60.
Nationality or residency status

You can only apply if:
• you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
• you normally live in England
• you’ve been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course

You may also be eligible if your residency status is one of the following:

• EU national, or family member of one
• refugee
• humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for asylum)
• migrant worker
• child of a Swiss national
• child of a Turkish worker


You must pay back Tuition Fee Loans and Maintenance Loans. You pay interest on these. You don’t have to pay back other student finance, eg grants and bursaries. How much you pay back

If your course finishes before 2016, repayments won’t start until April 2016.

Your repayments are linked to your income. You only make repayments when your income is over £21,000 a year. If your income drops below this amount repayments stop.

Part-time students sometimes start repayments while they’re still studying.
Each month you pay back 9% of any income over £21,000Your Income Per YearMonthly repayments  £21,000 and underNo repayments  £25,000£30  £30,000£67  £40,000£142  £50,000£217  £60,000£292  Once you’re registered with Student Finance England you can check your balance online
If you leave the UK, repayments are based on the earnings threshold for the country where you live. Interest on your student loans

If your course started before 1 September 2012 different rules apply.

You pay interest from the time your first payment is made until you pay your loan back in full.
For courses that started on or after 1 September 2012 the following interest rates apply: IncomeInterest rate  While you’re studyingRate of inflation (Retail Price Index) plus 3%  £21,000 or lessRate of inflation  £21,000 to £41,000Rate of inflation plus up to 3%  £41,000 and overRate of inflation plus 3%  Making repayments

You can pay some or your entire loan at any time without an extra charge.

If you’re an employee your employer will work out your repayments and take them out of your salary with your tax.
If you’re self-employed you must make repayments as part of your Self-Assessment tax return.

If you leave your course early, you still have to repay your student loan.

If you go abroad for more than 3 months you need to fill in an overseas income assessment form. Student Finance England will then work out your repayments.

For More Information please visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance


Translate »