The University of Wolverhampton is a leading modern university with a tradition of providing opportunity and academic excellence dating back nearly 190 years.
The roots of the University of Wolverhampton lie in the 19th century growth of Mechanics Institutes, which provided vocational and general education for working men. The Wolverhampton Free Library also developed technical, scientific, commercial and general classes.
Teaching first began in 1851 at the School of Art, and the study of art became a key focus – with new buildings, and a new name for the Municipal School of Art in 1885.
Early 20th century (1900-1944)
By 1903, an educational foundation had firmly been established with over 1,300 students studying courses including coach building, house painting and pattern making. In 1905, the first student scholarships were awarded.
As student numbers continued to grow, expansion became necessary. In 1920, the original Deanery House was demolished, making way for the iconic Wulfruna building you see today in Wulfruna Street.
The foundation stone was laid by HRH Prince George in 1932 and in 1933 the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Technical College was born. With further education traditionally accessible only to the wealthy, the College vowed to ensure that even the most under-privileged men and women would have the opportunity to study a higher education – an ethos nurtured and sustained to the present day.
Courses included science and engineering, and with the creation of a Women’s Department, over a third of the College’s students were women, bucking the traditional all-male trend typical of higher education establishments. Research was also on the increase, with the College welcoming graduates from universities as honorary members.
The University invested £17 million in a new three-storey Performance Hub in 2011, enhancing its growing Performing Arts reputation and providing state-of-the-art teaching and performance space for dance, drama and music students.
The new building was built on a former teaching tower and Halls of Residence, and offers dance and drama rehearsal spaces as well as music practice rooms, recording studios and music technology suites. There is also a theatre space with dressing and changing rooms, a green room and additional performance spaces.
University of Wolverhampton Science Park
Built on land at the Science Park, the University has invested £10 million in a new Science, Technology and Prototyping Centre – with a £4.8 million grant from the Growth Deal through the Black Country Local Enterprise Partnership. The three-storey development will feature high quality offices, labs and workshops.
Enhanced health facilities
In January 2020, the University opened its new £4.8 million health facilities, which includes a two-storey extension to existing facilities in the Institute of Health. Students became able to practice skills in a safe environment with a fully enabled Panopto facility. This allows for the filming of sessions to give students the ability to review their progress and see their work from the perspective of a patient.
The clinical skills facilities include practice labs, which enable students to practice everything from cannulating a patient’s vein to inserting a catheter, all the way to running full-scale patient procedure scenarios such as dealing with sepsis or cardiac chest pain. There are also facilities for midwives dealing with mothers and new-born babies, children’s nursing facilities, and learning disability facilities. There is also an anatomage table: a digital table that allows students to virtually dissect anatomy.